Wednesday 4 March 2015

Isn't it Lovely?...

That's the general sentiment floating around the Eisteddfod at the moment. Ian Hytch has an incredibly positive view on everything, and I think it might be rubbing off on everyone else!

The Tuesday afternoon session kicked off, quite aptly, with the ECJS Steel Band playing Stevie Wonder's classic, 'Isn't She Lovely?' - It's did occur to me that, in all my years as a musician and percussionist, I've never actually had a go on the steel drums, so I found myself fascinated trying to figure out how the kids were playing them, and was in fact hypnotized by the the almost dance-like motion of them moving from one drum to the other. Likewise with Flextet Melrose I was intrigued by the technique of hand bell playing. Both ensembles performed excellently and were praised for their performances and encouraged to keep playing, but it was the steel band that won the trophy. What was great was to see the return of another Steel Pan band from Beechwood and another hand bell team from Melrose later in the afternoon, so we could all have a second time round enjoying these unusual instruments. This time Melrose came out on top. Unfortunately there was no cup for this class, and in actual fact, after flipping through the program I counted 12 classes with no cup/trophy or award to win, and another few where some classes are sharing cups (and I'm sure there's a few more classes that weren't competed this year that don't have cups either). It really is great as a performer in a competitive (albeit friendly) setting like this to have a chance of winning an award. I myself presented a trophy this year for the Self-Accompanied Over 18, so it's never too late to donate one (*hint hint!)

After seeing the great teaching of young violinists and violists, it was nice to see the players of their larger counterparts, Cello and Double Bass take to the stage to show off their great education as well. What became apparent in these classes (and indeed supported by the adjudicator) is the importance of taking time to set up your equipment properly so you are comfortable and ready to perform your best: In the case of Cellos and Basses, the precise setting of their chairs and music stand positions. I think this is something that applies to all musicians, regardless of your instrumentation. If you're a singer you should take your time to position yourself where you want and get your breathing under control - if you're a pianist, take the time to adjust the seat and stand heights to where you want etc. It's little finite details like that that can just give you a little more security and a bit of a boost to perform your best. Also included in the afternoons programme was an emotionally put-across Marimba piece, an impressively effective voice and piano piece and the Pop Song Duet/Trio/Quartet Vocal Class U15. Two great young groups in that class, in the form of self-accompanied Hannah James and Anna Cliff, and trio Luchelli. Both groups show great promise in this genre, with the harmonies sounding effortless and well rehearsed. I really liked how Hannah and Anna self-accompanied themselves, I think it gave them the vibe of 'the complete package', and I look forward to hearing them in other settings. But, Luchelli's use of vocal harmony had the edge for performance, both for me and the adjudicator.

Fast forward to the evening session, the Guernsey Grammar School dominated proceedings with their Training Windband, Senior Windband and Orchestra taking home the trophies of each of their classes. The highlight piece for me was the orchestra taking on the challenge of Mussorgsky's 'Night on a Bare Mountain.' I was instantly taken to memories of watching (and not watching because my hands were over my face at times) Disney's Fantasia, and I think I played most of the animation in my head as they performed. A real challenge for a school orchestra, and Ian was certainly impressed, awarding them a distinction. What is really great to see is how well Deborah Bideau has taken on the challenge of taking over the legacy my Mum left when she retired from Grammar School. It's great to see that Deborah has maintained the standard and is pushing the students in new ways, and I truly expect great things to continue.
- The evening performance then went from the sublime to the ridiculous in the form of the O18 Vocal Trio/Quartet Class. Chord Blimey performed a beautiful rendition of 'An Irish Blessing', only for the atmosphere to be literally swept away by a 'corps de ballet' prancing onto the stage to perform 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy'. Ian praised the performance aspect of the 'ballerina's', but decided that the best musicality belonged to Chord Blimey.

 ('Corps de Ballet' L-R: Michaela Gallienne, Amanda Hibbs, Sarah Dempster & Phillipa Nicolle 
- participants in the O18 Vocal Trio/Quartet Class)
Continuing the night was the Gilbert and Sullivan Class, which I'll admit has not been one I've seen much of in previous years, but I'm glad I did. This genre really is, what I call, 'Traditional Musical Theatre', and I think more of it needs to be performed, and indeed taught to budding Musical Theatre performers (of whom we have so many!) It's a different type of singing, somewhere nearer to the classical style, but not as heavy as Opera, it's subject matter is often light hearted and I think all the performers really got that across to the fun of this style. Although not the class winners, I thoroughly enjoyed the Cheshire Cast's short excerpt of 'Trial By Jury', particularly Dennis Burns as the comedic Judge, and I hope that when 'Pirates of Penzance' is on next year that you'll all go to see it (and that Ian gets his flight booked for it like he promised!)
- Finishing off the night was the Senior Music Making and French Song classes, both showcasing great classics. Both classes featured a fantastic array of local singers, and the lovely voice of Genevieve Usher, who is not local to the Island, but from what she's said to me is thoroughly enjoying performing at the festival and the warm friendly atmosphere (well done donkeys!)

All in all, it has been yet another lovely day of music making at the Guernsey Eisteddfod. And, as Ian Hytch said, using his favourite word no less than 159 times on Tuesday (yes, I counted).....

"Lovely! - It's all lovely - really lovely!"


No comments:

Post a Comment